Good morning Russell Family,
I wanted to update the school community on our current status. Obviously, the weather over the past three days has made it impossible for us to be in school. Each day we monitored the roads, drop offs, and turnarounds for our buses and made the decision that it was not safe for our kids to travel to school. We also are weighing the flu and the impact that it has had on our district. Our custodial crews have worked over the past three days to sanitize our buildings and buses to make it a healthy environment when our kids return. For this reason, I will be cancelling school on Friday to keep our kids home and allow them to heal up and get ready to return on Monday. I hope that we will not be faced with many more inclement weather days, but we will always put the safety and well-being of our children as our first priority.
Why NOT NTI days NOW?
It is very early in the winter stages to utilize our NTI days. Our preference is to have our kids in school face-to-face with their classroom teacher. NTI days do serve a purpose for our district, but on those days ALL staff are required to report to our schools for a normal workday. I also do not want staff traveling on unsafe roads to get to work just to conserve a day. I want to be conservative at this stage with utilization of the NTID program.
I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused anyone in our community and our hope is to be back in full swing on Monday, January 22, 2018. If you have any questions, concerns, or need to talk with anyone in my office, please call 606-836-9679.